175 Assisted Living Communities near Sunnyvale
Belmont Village Sunnyvale
Sunrise Of Sunnyvale
Madera Villa Residential Care
At Home Senior Living
Willie Care Home
Villa Mar Residential Care Home
Serenity Care Home Rcfe
Sunny Orchard Place
St. Mary's Residential Care Home Ii
St. Mary's Residential Care Home
Micro Star Care Home Ii
What is Assisted Living?
The federal government has no set definition for assisted living services, instead choosing to leave it up to the individual states to set a definition as to what qualifies as assisted living. The state of California has a unique definition of assisted living that quantifies such communities as “a housing arrangement chosen voluntarily by the resident, or the resident’s responsible person, where 75 percent of the residents are 60 years of age or older, and where varying levels of care and supervision are provided.”
Generally speaking, assisted living communities in Sunnyvale provide residents with 24-hour, nonmedical care that includes assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs). These ADLs include:
- Daily grooming
- Getting dressed
- Mobility assistance
Services Available in Assisted Living Communities in Sunnyvale
The type and variety of services available in Sunnyvale senior living communities vary. For example, a basic senior living community focuses on providing quality residential accommodations and daily meals, while a boutique assisted living facility goes above and beyond to offer programs such as fitness classes, educational courses, and a number of different social engagement opportunities. These are among the typical options you’ll find in an assisted living community in Sunnyvale. The following are examples of other services typically offered:
- Housekeeping and laundry
- Wellness and mental health programs
- Art classes
- Day trips
- Shopping excursions
- Religious services
- Movie nights
Getting Ready to Move to Assisted Living in Sunnyvale
Moving into a new assisted living facility in Sunnyvale requires preparation in advance. A physical should be scheduled with your doctor to evaluate your current health condition. This information can aid the staff in a senior living community in a smoother transition as you move into a new residence. Additionally, it is important to deal with other items prior to moving, such as:
- Selling a home or canceling a property lease
- Selling a car or donating it to relatives/charity
- Going through household possessions to get rid of unwanted/unneeded items ahead of a move
- Hiring movers to assist in the process of packing, hauling, and unpacking possessions
How Much Does Assisted Living Cost in Sunnyvale
The average monthly cost of assisted living in Sunnyvale is $5,500 according to the Genworth Cost of Care survey 2017.
A variety of factors impact the cost of assisted living in Sunnyvale. Each senior living community has its own fee structures and program costs, but local factors such as taxation and cost of living also play a role in the final monthly cost for senior living. When it comes to community-dependent costs, you can expect to see prices fluctuate based on factors such as these:
- Community Fee: Facilities with a community fee charge one-time fees to cover the administrative costs associated with move-in
- All-Inclusive: Similar to resorts, all-inclusive pricing combines rent with the cost of other services in determining one monthly fee to charge
- Monthly Rent Plus: This fee structure charges separately for rent and different services provided by the community with the option to forego certain services/programs
- Basic Communities: A basic assisted living community in Sunnyvale offers equal comfort level in accommodations and quality of meals, but provides fewer amenities for residents
- Luxury Communities: On the other end of the spectrum are luxury senior living communities in Sunnyvale which offer modern accommodations, gourmet meals, high-quality classes and social events, and even concierge services
Aside from the pricing structures of individual communities, assisted living costs in Sunnyvale are impacted by local factors. The national median monthly cost for assisted living is $4,000. California comes in with a higher cost of assisted living at $4,500 per month. The cost of assisted living in Sunnyvale is even higher at roughly $5,500 per month.
Our local Seniorly Partner Agents often have the ability to negotiate monthly rent and fees on your behalf at many of the communities you might be interested in. This is a free service to you. To connect to a Seniorly Partner Agent email us now at email@example.com or call (866) 855-4515.
Assisted Living vs. Other Types of Senior Care Facilities
Sunnyvale assisted living communities represent just one type of senior living care available in the San Francisco Bay Area. As mentioned earlier, assisted living communities offer 24-hour nonmedical care in a residential setting that often includes a variety of other physical, mental, and social wellness programs. Other types of senior care facilities exist, such as:
- Independent Living: Most independent living communities are designed for active seniors over the age of 55 who simply wish to avoid the hassle of owning a single-family home and live in a community setting with other residents in the same station in life
- Nursing Home: A nursing home is designed to meet the needs of residents requiring greater care and medical attention on a 24-hour basis
- Memory Care: These specialized facilities are best for those seniors dealing with the effects of Alzheimer’s, dementia, and other memory-loss conditions
Helpful Websites for Assisted Living in Sunnyvale
Moving into a new assisted living facility in Sunnyvale can make life a lot easier for local seniors, but not every senior living community offers a level of service capable of meeting all the needs of its residents. From mobile pet groomers to prescription medication delivery, the following websites connect seniors to valuable resources:
- VetMobileCare.com: Operated by Dr. Saiki, a vet serving Sunnyvale residents since 2003, this service offers a mobile veterinary clinic for your four-legged friends
- iCare Pharmacy: Serving San Jose and its surrounding communities, iCare Pharmacy offers prescription medication delivery free of charge to local residents
- Lyft: When you want to get out to lunch with friends or go shopping without waiting for transportation from your senior community, Lyft drivers are a few taps away on a smartphone
These local resources are just three of the many programs available to Sunnyvale seniors. Whether you live at home independently or in a senior living community, these helpful resources can aid you in pursuing an independent lifestyle.
Resources for Caregivers in Sunnyvale
Caregivers play an important role in the physical and mental wellbeing of Sunnyvale seniors. However, it can be emotionally and physically draining to care for another person. For those Sunnyvale caregivers in need of support resources, these are just three of the many resources you’ll find from private groups and organizations in the area:
- National Alliance on Mental Illness: NAMI of Santa Clara County organizes support groups for those affected by mental illness, whether you are suffering yourself or providing care for someone else suffering from mental illness
- Parkinson’s Community Outreach – Stanford Medicine: Operated by Stanford University, the caregiver-only support groups here are open to all caregivers assisting a loved one with diseases ranging from Parkinson's and Lewy Body to dementia and Alzheimer’s
- Homecare California: When you need a break to care for yourself, your loved one can still get the help they need with Homecare California. Care services include assistance with meal preparation, personal care, exercise and recreation, companionship, and light housekeeping
Government Resources for Seniors in Sunnyvale
Private organizations provide a valuable bridge in the gap between Sunnyvale senior needs and the ability of local governments to meet those needs. With that said, local government agencies still provide valuable programs and services to local seniors. Examples include:
- San Jose Parks, Recreation & Neighborhood Services: The departments Active Adults 50+ program offers memberships to local seniors for a variety of classes, programs, and special events, such as the senior nutrition program
- Santa Clara County Fire Department: Santa Clara Fire operates a 2-1-1 line that provides free, non-emergency community, health, and disaster information to local senior residents. Trained specialists are available to answer all questions and help direct seniors to quality resources
- Santa Clara County Senior Centers: There are 13 senior centers in Santa Clara operated by the local government, including a Sunnyvale senior center, which provide wellness and independence programs. Options include cards and games, computer training, health insurance counseling, and income tax assistance
Sunnyvale is a suburb of San Jose that is considered part of the broader San Francisco Bay Area. There are an estimated 152,762 residents of the city on the south side of the bay. Sunnyvale is one of the few cities in the nation with a majority Asian population, with those from Asian heritage representing 44.6percent of the population. The remainder of the population is Caucasian (32.2percent), Hispanic (17.5percent), and African-American (1.8percent).
Sunnyvale experiences similar weather patterns to the rest of the Bay Area in California. The average high during the summer months (June to September) is 77 with a low between 55 and 58 on average. December and January are the coolest months, with highs around 58 on average and lows near 40 on average. The winter months are also the wettest, with average precipitation of 1.38 inches in December, 1.22 inches in January, and 1.55 inches in February.
Transportation in and Around Sunnyvale
Residents of Sunnyvale have ample access to air travel with three major international airports in the greater San Francisco Bay Area. The closest international airport is Norman Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC). Residents can also fly in and out through San Francisco International (SFO) or Oakland International (OAK). The local public transportation system is operated by the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority. The system includes a combination of bus and light rail lines that move people throughout the San Jose area.
Fun Facts About Sunnyvale
- Sunnyvale is set in Silicon Valley, the name given to the Santa Clara Valley since 1971 as tech companies began to emerge in the area. Yahoo, SanDisk, and Advanced Micro Devices are Fortune 500 companies headquartered in Sunnyvale.
- The city is also one of the few in the country with a unified department of public safety. This means that all employees are trained as firefighters, police, and EMTs.
- Finally, the wrestling team at Fremont High School in Sunnyvale trains in a building that was originally a military base during World War II where US Military aircraft stopped for fuel top-offs.
Sunnyvale Hospital Information
Sunnyvale residents have access to some of the best health care, not just in the region but in the whole of the United States. Stanford Health Care – Stanford Hospital is ranked as the best hospital in the San Jose area and ranked nationally across 13 different specialties. El Camino Hospital ranks second in the area and 18th best in the state of California with the highest ranking possible in eight procedures or conditions. Finally, Kaiser Permanente Santa Clara is the area’s third highest ranked hospital and 32nd best in California.
Assisted Living Community Ratings, Inspection Reports and User Reviews for Sunnyvale
The California Department of Social Services (CDSS) provides licensing and inspection of assisted living in Sunnyvale and other cities across the state. CDSS conducts regular inspections and makes that information available to the public so you can adequately research senior living communities in the area. Beyond governmental oversight, online user reviews offer honest insight into the operation of, services at, and quality of the accommodations in senior living communities in Sunnyvale. Yelp is a valuable tool in ranking different communities and providing user reviews.
Top 10 Questions to Ask While Touring Assisted Living in Sunnyvale
As part of any research into assisted living communities in Sunnyvale, it is a good idea to go on a tour to see the facility and its accommodations with your own eyes. A tour allows you to interact with current residents, try out meals and programs for yourself, and get a feel for the sense of community that exists in the senior living environment. As you go through a tour, consider asking some of the following questions:
- What types of training do the staff members have?
- Do the staff members speak you or your loved-one’s language?
- What furnishings are providing in the living units?
- Do the rooms come equipped with 24-hour emergency response systems?
- Are pets allowed? If so, what kind?
- How many meals are provided each day?
- Does the menu vary from one day to the next? How often does it change?
- Are there snacks provided throughout the day?
- What common spaces are available to residents?
- Is there a posted schedule of events and activities?