Aging is an interesting process to say the least. Here are ten random facts about growing older that you may or may not already know.

10 Fun Facts About Aging

Believe or not, there’s more to your golden years than game night and golf courses. You feel wiser. You know yourself better. And you also become apart of a powerful demographic. To celebrate this special time in your life, we’ve shared some interesting facts about aging that may surprise you.

1. Age doesn't determine success.

The founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken, Harland David Sanders (a.k.a. Colonel Sanders), started Kentucky Fried Chicken at the age of 65!

10 Fun Facts About Aging

Photo: Business Insider

2. We lose a few bones along the way.

We are born with 350 bones in our skeleton. As we age, our bones fuse together leaving us with 206 bones as adults.

3. Seniors hold the most voting power.

When it comes to voting, those 60 and over cast more ballots than any other age group.

4. Creativity doesn't diminish with age.

Laura Ingalls Wilder didn’t publish Little House in the Big Woods until 65. Millard Kaufman didn’t publish his first novel until 90!

10 Fun Facts About Aging

Photo: Vulture

5. Seniors are living longer.

People are living longer. By the year 2040 the population of seniors over 85 is expected to triple from 5.7 million to 14.1 million.

6. ...and growing faster.

According to the US Census Bureau, the elderly are the fastest growing age group by percentage.

7. You (mostly) have control over aging.

Studies argue that only 30% of the characteristics associated with aging are controlled by genetics. The remaining 70% is controlled by chosen lifestyle factors.

10 Fun Facts About Aging

Photo: AARP

8. There's less stress after 65.

Despite citing other health and money concerns, people over 65 experience less stress.

9. Learning can save your brain.

In response to learning, we grow new neurons over time which can help fight off dementia.

10. Sleeping habits alter over time.

Our sleeping patterns change as we age: we get tired earlier and wake up earlier.

10 Fun Facts About Aging

Photo: Seniors at Home

For more fun articles on seniors: 

For more resources on senior living, click here.


Seniorly helps you find Assisted Living

Enter City or ZipCode to begin your search.

City

A thought while you wait ...


The first 50 years of childhood are the toughest.